Re: Oracle 8i, copy database on new server and replay redologs

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 11:14:48 -0700 (PDT)

Comments embedded.

On Jul 8, 12:35 pm, Fabrice <t..._at_test.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an Oracle database 8i on a Win2003 Server (named SRV1).
> The database is in archive log mode.
>
> The backup is done with :
>
> - a "cold backup" every night by the copy of all the files : all the dbf
> datafiles, control files, redolog file and init file.

Why, if your database is in archivelog mode, are you taking COLD backups??? Taking hot backups will allow you to restore to the current point in the redo stream with little effort.

> - There are two exports by day with the tool EXP.

Again, if this database is in archivelog mode, WHY do the exports?? The archivelogs provide everything you'll need to bring a restored database current.

> I have an another server (sort of backup server) named SRV2 with the same
> installation of Oracle 8i ; The same instance name, the same paths for the
> files : .dbf, .ctl, redo and init.ora .
>
> I can copy all the files of my cold backup from SRV1 to my second server
> SRV2 and start the instance with the commande : ALTER DATABASE OPEN
> RESETLOGS; In this case I have my database in state of the last cold
> backup.

Yes, and you've discarded any redo information which has not been applied, re-initialized the controlfile information regarding the online redo logs, cleared those same redo logs and reset the log sequence to 1 making it (to my knowledge) impossible to apply any prior archivelogs to this database.

> My question is : Can I replay the archived redologs of the day ?

No.

> Explanation :
>
> - I have a cold backup of the last night : 01h00 AM.
> - My production base crash at 12h00 PM.
> - From 01h00 AM to 12h00 PM, 20 redologs have been archived and save on a
> network share.
>
> --> If I copy my cold backup (from 01h00) on the second server SRV2 and all
> the archived redo logs to this server (20 files) can tell to Oracle to
> replay the archived logs on the cold backup before open it ?

Not if you follow the procedure you described above by opening the database resetlogs.

> I have tried to do a recover database but nothing happen.

It won't, as the log sequence has been reset to 1 and all redo history in the controlfiles has been cleared.

> Is it possible to do it ?

No, not after you open the database RESETLOGS.

> Thanks a lot
> Fabrice

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Jul 08 2009 - 13:14:48 CDT

Original text of this message