Re: 10g Database not starting after applying patch

From: Palooka <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 22:03:39 +0100

oracle, old sherwoodian wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I initially installed 10.2.0.1.0 version of the database and then
> applied the 10.2.0.3.0 patch successfully.
> Now i cannot get the database started. I get this error:
> ORA-12505: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in
> connect descriptor (DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach)
>
> I've not changed anything. If fact, i made a copy of the listner.ora
> and tnsname.ora file and they both are identical.
> Please help.

The clue is in your alert log, as Terry says.

You didn't follow the instructions in the documentation, did you?

The safest option is to restore from backup, read the upgrade notes (plus anything in Metalink, as JG suggests), and start over. This is a very straightforward process, provided you follow the recipe.

Palooka Received on Tue May 12 2009 - 16:03:39 CDT

Original text of this message