Re: 10g Database not starting after applying patch

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 11:00:32 +0200

Palooka wrote:
> oracle, old sherwoodian wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I initially installed 10.2.0.1.0 version of the database and then
>> applied the 10.2.0.3.0 patch successfully.
>> Now i cannot get the database started. I get this error:
>> ORA-12505: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in
>> connect descriptor (DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach)
>>
>> I've not changed anything. If fact, i made a copy of the listner.ora
>> and tnsname.ora file and they both are identical.
>> Please help.
>>

> The clue is in your alert log, as Terry says.
>
> You didn't follow the instructions in the documentation, did you?
>
> The safest option is to restore from backup, read the upgrade notes
> (plus anything in Metalink, as JG suggests), and start over. This is a
> very straightforward process, provided you follow the recipe.
>
> Palooka

Nope - just start the DB in upgrade mode (that should be done by hand, and is in the upgrade README), and run the necessary scripts (catpatch, presumably, but this is ALSO in the README).

There's absolutely no need to restore (and recover, using a new software branch?!?) and start again - the instance has not been open at all, as can be seen from the logs.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel