Re: Completely unsupported, I know (RAC 11g on a laptop)

From: Palooka <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 21:45:44 +0100

johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net wrote:
> On Apr 27, 8:29 pm, Palooka <nob..._at_nowhere.com> wrote:
>> I am trying (for self educational purposes) to install RAC (11g) on a
>> laptop using VMware with two guest clients (CentOS5 masquerading as
>> RHEL5) in a cluster.
>>
>> Does anyone have an idea what the minimum physical RAM is on the host?
>> I have 2GB, so when I try to allocate 1GB each to the nodes it gets a
>> bit unstable. However, if I allocate 512M to each guest, their OS is
>> perfectly stable, but there does not seem to be sufficient resource to
>> start the ASM instances successfully.
>>
>> I think I need to upgrade the laptop to 4GB physical RAM before this
>> will work. What is the opinion of the panel?

> Well instead of just guessing one alternative is to search around a
> little and see what other people have documented and proven.
>
> Jeffrey Hunter has one of the best sites for complete documented
> Oracle examples including a ton of RAC work using various
> techniques ... see http://www.idevelopment.info
>
> He has a VM environment of some type using one 2 gig machine ( think
> it was 10g not 11g ) ...
>
> Create an Oracle RAC 10g Release 2 using VMware Workstation 5 -
> (CentOS 4.4)

Thank you for the helpful advice. Actually I had searched around more than a little, and had studied the Oracle documentation. I was just seeking some practical advice, for which I thank the other posters.

I am going to go for the memory upgrade (assuming my laptop will support it), so as to improve the performance a bit.

However, the good news is that I am almost there, in advance of the memory upgrade:

daddy_at_daddy-laptop:~$ ssh oracle_at_redhat1 oracle_at_redhat1's password:
Last login: Tue Apr 28 21:30:54 2009 from daddy-laptop [oracle_at_redhat1 ~]$ crs_stat -t
Name Type Target State Host

ora....C1.inst application    ONLINE    ONLINE    redhat1
ora....C2.inst application    ONLINE    ONLINE    redhat2
ora.MOJRAC.db  application    ONLINE    ONLINE    redhat1
ora....SM1.asm application    ONLINE    ONLINE    redhat1
ora....T1.lsnr application    ONLINE    ONLINE    redhat1
ora....at1.gsd application    ONLINE    ONLINE    redhat1
ora....at1.ons application    ONLINE    ONLINE    redhat1
ora....at1.vip application    ONLINE    ONLINE    redhat1
ora....SM2.asm application    ONLINE    ONLINE    redhat2
ora....T2.lsnr application    ONLINE    ONLINE    redhat2
ora....at2.gsd application    ONLINE    ONLINE    redhat2
ora....at2.ons application    ONLINE    ONLINE    redhat2
ora....at2.vip application    ONLINE    ONLINE    redhat2
[oracle_at_redhat1 ~]$ cat /proc/meminfo | grep MemTotal
MemTotal:       515444 kB

[oracle_at_redhat1 ~]$

Palooka Received on Tue Apr 28 2009 - 15:45:44 CDT

Original text of this message