Re: Completely unsupported, I know (RAC 11g on a laptop)

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 05:06:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 27, 8:29 pm, Palooka <nob..._at_nowhere.com> wrote:
> I am trying (for self educational purposes) to install RAC (11g) on a
> laptop using VMware with two guest clients (CentOS5 masquerading as
> RHEL5) in a cluster.
>
> Does anyone have an idea what the minimum physical RAM is on the host?
> I have 2GB, so when I try to allocate 1GB each to the nodes it gets a
> bit unstable. However, if I allocate 512M to each guest, their OS is
> perfectly stable, but there does not seem to be sufficient resource to
> start the ASM instances successfully.
>
> I think I need to upgrade the laptop to 4GB physical RAM before this
> will work. What is the opinion of the panel?

Well instead of just guessing one alternative is to search around a little and see what other people have documented and proven.

Jeffrey Hunter has one of the best sites for complete documented Oracle examples including a ton of RAC work using various techniques ... see http://www.idevelopment.info

He has a VM environment of some type using one 2 gig machine ( think it was 10g not 11g ) ...

Create an Oracle RAC 10g Release 2 using VMware Workstation 5 - (CentOS 4.4) Received on Tue Apr 28 2009 - 07:06:51 CDT

Original text of this message