Re: oracle standby datase with select option

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:06:36 -0500

jgar the jorrible wrote:
> On Mar 30, 8:06 am, Michael Austin <maus..._at_firstdbasource.com> wrote:
>> hehehe wrote:
>>> Hello!!
>>>    I need to create test database like production database. The best
>>> solution for now is standby databse but it not good enough there is any
>>> other solution????? I need to update test databse for every 5 min...

> Streams and MV's come to mind, but we would need more details.
>
>>> Regards
>> Update a test database every 5 minutes? There is a lot you need to learn
>> about testing.

> Actually, right now I'm working on something that needs to be updated
> every minute. It was initially developed with one of those RAD
> paradigms, then modified heavily on the fly as requirements solidified
> and melted, then part that was written for no-longer-supported
> hardware and transaction monitors was rewritten with no requirements
> definition. So I gotta fix it.
>
> I'm as willing as anyone to require proper requirements definitions,
> but I can see the first version wouldn't be finished yet if they had.
> I speak my peace, then follow managements' decisions.
>
> It basically means I'm going to have to spend all day manually
> entering data for a harness to emulate what dozens of people would be
> doing per minute.
>
> Can't just clone production or flashback, several different projects
> are being tested, some of which don't have stable metadata yet.
>
>> Testing is only valid if you can run repeatable test and get the same
>> output, make a change, run it again to see if it improves or worsens -
>> when you constantly update the data in that underlying database, you
>> have now made too many changes to compare apples-to-apples.

> Must be nice to have a staff and equipment.
>
>> Oracle has some very good tools now that make that a lot easier - look
>> at FLASHBACK database and RAT (Real Application Testing) - it will
>> revolutionize the way you do and think about testing - or at least make
>> it more tolerable.

> jg
> --
> _at_home.com is bogus.
> NSWF: http://live.lmgtfy.com/ http://live.lmgtfy.com/recent.json

The you REALLY NEED RAT (real application testing) you can capture real-time workloads, duplicate you database, run the test, FLASHBACK the database, make changes and run the workload again.. Don't try to reinvent this wheel - it is far to complicated for you to get it done right in a RAD environment. Received on Mon Mar 30 2009 - 13:06:36 CDT

Original text of this message