Re: RMAN or Hot Backup

From: John Schaeffer <amerar_at_iwc.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:27:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 30, 12:26 pm, Michael Austin <maus..._at_firstdbasource.com> wrote:
> Mladen Gogala wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:43:43 -0500, Michael Austin wrote:
>
> >> Yes it does/did... Again using the methodology is essentially initiating
> >> a controlled crash. - but, as I have experienced, depending on where the
> >> Database writer and logwriters are at the exact moment of the break, you
> >> can get corrupted UNDO segments and then you are hosed - and now you try
> >> again - maybe next time you will get lucky and it will work.
>
> > You can get that even with "alter system suspend" immediately before
> > the split?
>
> shhh... don't them that... they would try to use it with things other
> than what it was intended...  And most places do not like using it
> because EVERYTHING stops during that time period - so they pays their
> money and takes their chances...

Yeah, this is a bunch of info that everyone has provided. So, here comes the document and there goes away the idea of the hot backup solution. I've used RMAN and it really removes a bunch of the tasks.

This one DBA who sits next to me claims that a hot backup can do EVERYTHING RMAN can, such as compression, including archive logs in the backup, validating the backup, reporting, etc......which we all know is flat out wrong........ Received on Mon Mar 30 2009 - 13:27:17 CDT

Original text of this message