Re: oracle standby datase with select option

From: jgar the jorrible <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:51:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 30, 8:06 am, Michael Austin <maus..._at_firstdbasource.com> wrote:
> hehehe wrote:
> > Hello!!
>
> >    I need to create test database like production database. The best
> > solution for now is standby databse but it not good enough there is any
> > other solution????? I need to update test databse for every 5 min...

Streams and MV's come to mind, but we would need more details.

> > Regards
>
> Update a test database every 5 minutes? There is a lot you need to learn
> about testing.

Actually, right now I'm working on something that needs to be updated every minute. It was initially developed with one of those RAD paradigms, then modified heavily on the fly as requirements solidified and melted, then part that was written for no-longer-supported hardware and transaction monitors was rewritten with no requirements definition. So I gotta fix it.

I'm as willing as anyone to require proper requirements definitions, but I can see the first version wouldn't be finished yet if they had. I speak my peace, then follow managements' decisions.

It basically means I'm going to have to spend all day manually entering data for a harness to emulate what dozens of people would be doing per minute.

Can't just clone production or flashback, several different projects are being tested, some of which don't have stable metadata yet.

> Testing is only valid if you can run repeatable test and get the same
> output, make a change, run it again to see if it improves or worsens -
> when you constantly update the data in that underlying database, you
> have now made too many changes to compare apples-to-apples.

Must be nice to have a staff and equipment.

> Oracle has some very good tools now that make that a lot easier - look
> at FLASHBACK database and RAT (Real Application Testing) - it will
> revolutionize the way you do and think about testing - or at least make
> it more tolerable.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.