Joining two disparate tables

From: <ahanjura_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 06:16:34 -0700 (PDT)

I have 4-5 tables joined to do a query from multiple tables with the number of rows in those tables ranging from 10^5 to 10^7. Though I already take a severe performance hit, I had stated that as a limitation in my product and the customer lived with it and also the response time wasn't really critical at that time.

Now, my problem is that the range of records has been widened (primarily because of 1 table I was joining earlier) and the new range of number of records is 10^2 to 10^7 and I still do the same join and my response time requirements are more stringent than before.

I am using OCI to connect to the database and my question is whether there is a way to avoid the join on the table having just 100 rows and does my assumption that having a higher range of records really affect the performance of the query.

I hope what I have stated makes good sense for you to respond. Thanks in advance. Received on Mon Mar 23 2009 - 08:16:34 CDT

Original text of this message