Re: change the hostname and IP address on linux database server

From: <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 16:18:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 20, 12:18 pm, emdproduct..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Dear group,
>
> We have a oracle 10.2.0.1 installed linux box.  Now i need to change
> my hostname and IP address, do i need to re-install the Oracle?
>
> And ultimate question is, can i just tar my Oracle Home and move it to
> different hosts, as long as the OS structure are the same?
>
> Thanks for your help

You probably want to patch to 10.2.0.4 ... hostname changes might best be accompanied by a reconfig of the database control stuff and various files in the network/admin directory.

If you really know what you are doing ... then you can often get away with moving oracle software from machine to machine ... if you really know what you are doing. I don't think that you fit into that category however.

If this is something you are doing often maybe some klnd of vm solution might work for you. Received on Fri Mar 20 2009 - 18:18:49 CDT

Original text of this message