Re: popular storage for ORACLE RAC

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:07:37 -0500

Michael Austin wrote:
> novickivan_at_gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I am trying to determine what is the most popular storage solution for
>> Oracle RAC.
>>
>> Specifically I am trying to compare NAS (NetApp, EMC, Sun, etc) versus
>> RedHat cluster file system, versus Veritas, versus any other solution
>> out there.
>>
>> Which is the most mainstream?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ivan Novick

> What platform is your hardware/OS?
>
> Stay away from Veritas Clusters... it will add a level of complexity you
> really do not want.
>
> Are you also using ASM?
>
> I would not use NAS, use SAN. All of the ones you mentioned it support
> multiple systems connecting to same devices via SCSI-3 bit...
>
> [successfully using NetApp (tier2 storage) on a 2-node (soon to be 3)
> SUN RAC cluster with more than 370TB of storage]
>
> However, my [PERM] Salary Continuation plan will be discontinued in
> another week or so. So, if you are looking for a consultant to come in
> and help with your situation... email address is real.

oh - one more thing... when a company cuts a major portion of their support staff, somebody has to go... and when you have nothing but very talented individuals it either comes down to $$$ or seniority.. (and with only 2 yrs - was very new compared to the others...) Well, the 3rd option is the "good old boy network", but not sure it applies here.. Received on Mon Mar 16 2009 - 22:07:37 CDT

Original text of this message