Re: popular storage for ORACLE RAC

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:10:04 -0500

Michael Austin wrote:
> novickivan_at_gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I am trying to determine what is the most popular storage solution for
>> Oracle RAC.
>>
>> Specifically I am trying to compare NAS (NetApp, EMC, Sun, etc) versus
>> RedHat cluster file system, versus Veritas, versus any other solution
>> out there.
>>
>> Which is the most mainstream?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ivan Novick

> What platform is your hardware/OS?
>
> Stay away from Veritas Clusters... it will add a level of complexity you
> really do not want.
>
> Are you also using ASM?
>
> I would not use NAS, use SAN. All of the ones you mentioned it support
> multiple systems connecting to same devices via SCSI-3 bit...
>
> [successfully using NetApp (tier2 storage) on a 2-node (soon to be 3)
> SUN RAC cluster with more than 370TB of storage]
>
> However, my [PERM] Salary Continuation plan will be discontinued in
> another week or so. So, if you are looking for a consultant to come in
> and help with your situation... email address is real.

An interesting side note about this environment - it started out on EMC, but with really no way to do a backup (and cost savings measures being implemented), it was decided to move it to NetApp to take advantage of the Snapshot feature and used ASM's rebalance to actually make the move - with the DB online AND adding more data in a day than most db's do in a lifetime. sorry - not able to divulge things like that... (yet).

Move took < month to run... Received on Mon Mar 16 2009 - 19:10:04 CDT

Original text of this message