Re: TimesTen and In Memory Databases.....

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 20:15:41 +0100

On 10.03.2009 11:16, Paulie wrote:

> For my money, Python is superior in many ways - as far as I'm
> concerned,
> if Eric Raymond and Bruck Eckel think it's the best language around,
> then who am I to quibble?

Well, I bet you'll find a famous advocate for *any* programming language. Also, I find it strange to just follow advice of people just because they are well known. I'd rather make up my own mind.

> It is also promising that they have just introduced version 3 which
> they explicitly state will not be fully backwards compatible with
> previous versions.
>
> This indicates a willingness to admit mistakes and move on (they
> are going to maintain the 2. branch for some time to come however).
>
> I have only used a small amount of both Perl and Python (having been
> doomed
> to write shell scripts by a manager who didn't want to dip his toes in
> the waters
> of proper languages - "<whine> but we don't know what it does"), but
> Python just
> "fits"!

<adverisment type="shameless">Btw, did you give Ruby a try? The current 1.9.1 is really great - significantly faster than the 1.8 versions and it is *my* language of choice for scripting - although I'm not famous at all. ;-)</advertisment>

Cheers

        robert Received on Sun Mar 15 2009 - 14:15:41 CDT

Original text of this message