Re: TimesTen and In Memory Databases.....

From: Paulie <linehan.paul_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 03:16:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 6, 12:03 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> There is also a specialized
> language for loading data into the database (any database, MySQL, Oracle
> or PgSQL). It's called Practical Extraction and Reporting Language and it
> is my sincerest advice to learn the language.

I would concur that a good knowledge of an OS independent scripting language
is a powerful tool in the hands of a competent professional.

However, I would disagree about the choice of language.

For my money, Python is superior in many ways - as far as I'm concerned,
if Eric Raymond and Bruck Eckel think it's the best language around, then who am I to quibble?

It is also promising that they have just introduced version 3 which they explicitly state will not be fully backwards compatible with previous versions.

This indicates a willingness to admit mistakes and move on (they are going to maintain the 2. branch for some time to come however).

I have only used a small amount of both Perl and Python (having been doomed
to write shell scripts by a manager who didn't want to dip his toes in the waters
of proper languages - "<whine> but we don't know what it does"), but Python just
"fits"!

Rgs.

Paul... Received on Tue Mar 10 2009 - 05:16:10 CDT

Original text of this message