Re: ARH-How syncronize database passwords

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 05:35:04 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 13, 7:50 am, Shakespeare <what..._at_xs4all.nl> wrote:
> ahanj..._at_gmail.com schreef:
>
> > I have around 40 odd oracle 10g databases that use the same username/
> > password through the application. Now I need to synchronize these
> > passwords anytime someone changes it on 1 database and this has to
> > happen in near/real time for my requirement to be met.
> > How can I do this completely or partially through Oracle?
>
> One optionis to use an LDAP server like Oracle Internet Directory.
>
> Shakespeare

Global users using Kerberos or similar or LDAP as mentioned by Shakespeare would be the best solution. Otherwise you will have to capture the new password and propogate it to all 39 other databases. One idea for capturing the new password value would be to implement the password change rule enforcement routine to capture the password. Since some of the databases might be unavailable the password update process would need to be able to handle having to to postpone the update to a specific database.

I am curious what kind of design has an application that connects to 40 different databases. I am more use hearing of sites that have 40 instances using one database. Though in my earlier days with Oracle I knew of at least one site that had a system built on several distributed databases.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Jan 13 2009 - 07:35:04 CST

Original text of this message