Re: ARH-How syncronize database passwords

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:34:11 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 13, 4:28 am, "ahanj..._at_gmail.com" <ahanj..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I have around 40 odd oracle 10g databases that use the same username/
> password through the application. Now I need to synchronize these
> passwords anytime someone changes it on 1 database and this has to
> happen in near/real time for my requirement to be met.
> How can I do this completely or partially through Oracle?

You may be able to use the alter user ... identified by values sql. I don't think this is documented, but you can grep for it in an oldstyle  exp full=y rows=n to see the usage and value, or see the value in dba_users. Naturally, this is an extremely bad idea from a security viewpoint. I believe 11g doesn't allow this. You might break things if something requires a password file (which I would hope wouldn't be the case, but there are all sorts of weirdo apps out there, especially those that require the password to be hardcoded).

The value is the same across databases, that's how exp/imp does it.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
Hope I die before I get... wait a minute...