Re: asm on san

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 06:56:51 -0800

Palooka wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> Palooka wrote:
>>>>
>>> I think Michael Austin is right. We are just consumers of the SAN
>>> service. These days, we can no longer think in terms of spindles -
>>> too much is abstracted and virtualised.
>>>
>>> Just my 2c.
>>>
>>> Palooka
>>
>> To consider yourselves consumers of the SAN service is the same as
>> considering yourself a consumer of the network service or the
>> electricity service. As the customer you have both the right and
>> the responsibility to write an SLA with those that provide it.
>>
>> If your idea of an SLA is to laydown in the middle of the street
>> and be run over that's what you get. I think you will find that
>> the customers of your company's ERP system has taken a very
>> different approach to the issue and so should all DBAs.

> What a facile and fatuous observation.
>
> Of course the SAN providers are subject to SLAs. The point is that they
> guarantee a level of availability and throughput; i.e. the what, rather
> than the how.
>
> Palooka

Only as long as they can get away with it.

DBAs have their feet put to the fire ... queries must return results in 2 seconds, for example. You can not meet your SLA if the requirement is not passed to the layers on which the database is built. That means you must have sufficient server, network, and storage performance.

You can not guarantee the lights will be on 7x24 if you can't also guarantee a supply of electricity at the right voltage with sufficient amperage.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor