Re: RMAN restore of full backup fails completely

From: Andreas Zimmermann <Souldiver_at_nurfuerspam.de>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 17:10:33 -0600

> Hi Andy,
>
> Just a few guesses again.
> In 9i the crucial part of a restore from the controlfile is
> set dbid <id of the source database>
>
> prior to the
> restore autobackup
> command.
> It looks like you already have a target db, so you are trying to
> overwrite a target db. The target db will have a *different* dbid, so
> you are restoring the *wrong* controlfile.
> What I would need you to do is
> - confirm you have set up a target database with a different id
> - make sure you use the
> set dbid
> command *prior* to restore autobackup!!!!!!! (the dbid is in the
> backup log) (you can change the location where RMAN expects the
> autobackup too, by using the set auto backup controlfile to...)
> - make sure you have a *proper* autobackup made *after* the database
> backup. Backup database plus archivelog will take care of this.
> Just backup database will *not*
>
> You can catalog backups in 10g RMAN.
> However, if the dbid in the backups is different from the dbid in the
> target database you seem to have, you can jump through the ceiling,
> but it won't work.
>
> Hth
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Hi Sybrand,

you're right, I try to overwrite the 'target database' on the second server, however the DBIDs of both databases are identical (which is logical since the one on 'db-06' - former backup server, now production - was a backup / restore of db-05 - former production, now backup):

[oracle_at_wd-db-06 root]$ rman target /

Recovery Manager: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Mon Nov 24 16:19:52 2008

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

connected to target database: USERDB (DBID=3794760173)

---

[oracle_at_wd-db-05 ~]$ rman target /

Recovery Manager: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Mon Nov 24 16:18:36
2008

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

connected to target database: USERDB (DBID=3794760173)

So that is not the problem as far as I can say ... the same with having the
*proper* autobackup - since I used the command you suggested in your first
post for a new full online backup (with the restore failing in the same way
as mentioned before) ... :(

You say I can catalog backups in 10g RMAN ... what does that mean, how to do
it & could that possibly solve the problem ?!

Kind regards,

Andy