Re: RMAN restore of full backup fails completely

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 01:21:15 -0800 (PST)

On 25 nov, 00:10, "Andreas Zimmermann" <Souldi..._at_nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> > Hi Andy,
>
> > Just a few guesses again.
> > In 9i the crucial part of a restore from the controlfile is
> > set dbid <id of the source database>
>
> > prior to the
> > restore autobackup
> > command.
> > It looks like you already have a target db, so you are trying to
> > overwrite a target db. The target db will have a *different* dbid, so
> > you are restoring the *wrong* controlfile.
> > What I would need you to do is
> > - confirm you have set up a target database with a different id
> > - make sure you use the
> >   set dbid
> >   command *prior* to restore autobackup!!!!!!! (the dbid is in the
> > backup log) (you can change the location where RMAN expects the
> > autobackup too, by using the set auto backup controlfile to...)
> > - make sure you have a *proper* autobackup made *after* the database
> > backup. Backup database plus archivelog will take care of this.
> > Just backup database will *not*
>
> > You can catalog backups in 10g RMAN.
> > However, if the dbid in the backups is different from the dbid in the
> > target database you seem to have, you can jump through the ceiling,
> > but it won't work.
>
> > Hth
>
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> Hi Sybrand,
>
> you're right, I try to overwrite the 'target database' on the second server,
> however the DBIDs of both databases are identical (which is logical since
> the one on 'db-06' - former backup server, now production - was a backup /
> restore of db-05 - former production, now backup):
>
> [oracle_at_wd-db-06 root]$ rman target /
>
> Recovery Manager: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Mon Nov 24 16:19:52
> 2008
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
>
> connected to target database: USERDB (DBID=3794760173)
>
> ---
>
> [oracle_at_wd-db-05 ~]$ rman target /
>
> Recovery Manager: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Mon Nov 24 16:18:36
> 2008
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
>
> connected to target database: USERDB (DBID=3794760173)
>
> So that is not the problem as far as I can say ... the same with having the
> *proper* autobackup - since I used the command you suggested in your first
> post for a new full online backup (with the restore failing in the same way
> as mentioned before) ... :(
>
> You say I can catalog backups in 10g RMAN ... what does that mean, how to do
> it & could that possibly solve the problem ?!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andy- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Hi Andy,

Reading the Matthew Hart RMAN book on your behalf I found there now is restore controlfile autobackup from '<autobackup controlfile piece name>'
I still think you are restoring the wrong controlfile. You are using the FRA, and the correct controlfile apparently isn't in the FRA.
You really need to ascertain whether those files are backed-up right after the backup on the source server.
So far you never posted any backup log results, only big pieces on junk pertaining to the restore. Not very helpful. With respect to cataloguing backuppieces, I read the manuals on your behalf and I came up with
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/maint007.htm#BRBSC204

In the past you needed to reproduce the entire source server directory structure on the target server or it wouldn't work. Now you can relocate backup-pieces.
Obviously you can also copy 'missing' backuppieces and catalog them prior to the restore.

Somehow either your backup sucks, or you are restoring the wrong controlfile.

As you seem not to follow my directions to the letter, you are difficult to help, and this is evolving into free consultancy. As I am not looking over your shoulder, and don't seem to be willing to do any background reading yourself, it probably has to stop here.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Tue Nov 25 2008 - 03:21:15 CST

Original text of this message