Re: Oracle 11g and v$session information

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:45:14 +0100

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:23:25 +0100, Thomas Kellerer <YQDHXVLMUBXG_at_spammotel.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a (Java) application that supplies the application information by setting connection properties to populate the v$session stuff using connection properties
>
><http://download.oracle.com/otn/utilities_drivers/jdbc/111060/doc/javadoc/oracle/jdbc/OracleConnection.html#CONNECTION_PROPERTY_THIN_VSESSION_PROGRAM>
>

>This has been working fine with version 8,9 and 10. When using that application with an Oracle 11g database the connection fails with the error message:
>
>"Connection property format error: Property is 'v$session.program'"
>
>The value supplied for that property works fine with all other Oracle versions.
>It is not a problem of the JDBC driver, because when I use the same driver against an Oracle 10g installtion it works fine.
>
>It seems that Oracle 11g does not accept brackets for that property. Because when I remove them, it works.
>
>But then there are entries coming from Oracle itself that contain brackets (e.g. "emagent_at_x-oratest (TNS V1-V3)") so I wonder what the real problem is.
>
>Regards
>Thomas

And of course the jdbc driver has no version... Yet as it has been working with Oracle 8 (which might be even 8.0 who can tell), it is probably Jurassic.
I would first, even before asking around here, check whether the driver is certified against 11g.

Apart from that: a Java 'app' which directly accesses v$session instead of sys_context belongs on 1 place only: in the trash can!

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

Too many people can't be bothered to do the work they get paid for
themselves