Re: AWR Sample Report

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:13:00 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 6, 5:08 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 04:59:04 -0800 (PST), Charles Hooper
>
> <hooperc2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Raja, it is good that you want to understand how to read AWR/Statspack
> >reports.  I highly recommend reading the blog entries at the link that
> >I previously posted in this thread.
>
> Charles, please do not respond to this person. The only thing he wants
> is
> - avoid reading the documentatioin
> - free abstracts from the documentation as he can't be bothered to
> search for it
> - you doing HIS work for free.
>
> He is asking similar questions in various newsgroups, all of them boil
> down to him getting free consultancy.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Sybrand,

I understand your point. It appears that Raja missed most of the clues I provided to him in my intial post. He did take the time to visit the link that I provided to him, where he posted the same AWR report to Jonathan's blog. If nothing else, I wonder how close my *guess* is to what is really happening in the 31 second time period on his system. While Raja might not benefit from the clues which have been provided to him in this thread, there is a chance that the clues might provide an opportunity to spark performance tuning curiosity in other readers. Out of personal curiosity, it might be interesting to see if there are any clues to point the possible cause of an apparent performance problem in a different direction.

Raja, if you really want to understand what the AWR report is showing, take a look at the clues provided by Steve Howard, Sybrand, and me in this thread. Ask yourself why those clues were pointed out in response to the section of the AWR which you provided, and whether or not other clues exist in the full AWR report which agree with or refute the suggestions which were provided. Search the Internet for the meaning of the various wait events and statistics which have large values. Take this as an opportunity to learn about AWR/statspack reports.

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Thu Nov 06 2008 - 19:13:00 CST

Original text of this message