Re: Multi Partition Types

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 05:16:45 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 4, 7:22 am, atif <atif.aq..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to partition my Orders table which is usually queried on three
> columns
> I am using Oracle 9i and the shortened table is
>
> Order (Date, RegionID, ProductCategory)
>
> Can i apply Range partitioning on all three columns? if yes then how
> data will be distributed?
> Can i apply Range on Date and List on RegionID and ProductCtegory?
> If i apply Hash on Date would Oracle search all partitions for a Date
> range?
>
> Finally i want to apply partitioning on all three columns, what kind
> of partitioning would benefit me?
>
> Thanks

With version 9.2 you can find information on the use of the partitioning option in the Admimistrators Guide.

Here is a link to material with both a multi-column range partition example and a range partition with list subpartition example:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96521/partiti.htm#26141

If the link fails the information is in Oracle9i Database Administrator's Guide Release 2 (9.2) Part Number A96521-01 Ch 17 Managing Partitioned Tables and Indexes.

So you answer is yes you can have a multi-column range partition and you can have a list subpartition to a range partition.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Nov 04 2008 - 07:16:45 CST

Original text of this message