Re: How to restore to a new database

From: <>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:59:17 +0200

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:15:10 -0700 (PDT), Richard <> wrote:

>If so that would not work because all I have is: RMAN cold backup
>pieces, original init.ora. That's it. I have no access to the source
>machine. Do you suggest another method ?
>Your advice is most appreciated. Thank you. Richard.

A Rman backup requires a Rman restore.
This would require:
- the backup on the target system in the *original directories* of the source system (or RMAN won't find the backup. That you point to identical directories on a different server doesn't matter) - preferably (and I doubt whether it is going to work at all without one): an autobackup controlfile
- the dbid of the source database
Let's assume for a moment you have all those. In your RMAN procedure you would need to - set the dbid (to the original database id) - restore the autobackup controlfile by issuing the restore controlfile from autobackup
- issue appropiate
set newname
commands to have the datafiles relocated when you restore them. - issue the
restore database
- issue the recover database command using backup controlfile

That is basically the procedure which is outlined in the RMAN documentation online at I can confirm it works.

Please note: I'm almost sure if you don't have that autobackup controlfile, the restore won't succeed.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA