How to restore to a new database

From: Richard <>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:15:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

I have a cold RMAN backup (2 pieces - the main body and the controlfile piece) from another server. My mission is to recreate / restore it to a new server under new db name.

Connectivity to the other server does not exists as this is from a customer's site.

Environment is: Oracle 9i, Solaris 10. noarchivelog mode (for now).

I read and tried for last 4 days no success.

The instructions I researched involved:

  1. get the rman cold backup from customer, put on my machine
  2. create a backup control file - got the 'trace' file from customer, modified it for create controlfile reuse set database "newdb" resetlogs noarchivelog .... ....
  3. create initora for newdb; create orapw file for newdb
  4. logon as member of dba group (user=oracle), export ORACLE_SID=newdb, sqlplus '/ as sysdba'
    > startup nomount
    > @ < the script to create new backup control file script from #2
    above >
  5. Recover database using backup controlfile 6 Alter database open resetlogs

But oracle errored out at step #4 create backup control file, when it tried to read the first .DBF ( SYSTEM01.DBF ) because it was not there.

I am confused about -- am I supposed to manually copy the .DBF's from source machine to my new machine (under new path names I prescribed in he backup control file) ?

If so that would not work because all I have is: RMAN cold backup pieces, original init.ora. That's it. I have no access to the source machine. Do you suggest another method ?

Your advice is most appreciated. Thank you. Richard. Received on Mon Oct 20 2008 - 11:15:10 CDT

Original text of this message