Re: what is the fastest way to restore a db

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:33:21 -0700 (PDT)

Comments embedded.

On Sep 18, 10:00 am, Marco <marco.strull..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> what is the fastest way to restore an oracle db?

Presuming you've used RMAN to backup that database it's a simple pair of commands:

restore database;
recover database;

> I'm using impdp but
> it's really slow compared to other databases tools (for example db2
> restore command)

You're not restoring/recovering a database, you're copying a tablespace/schema. That is a different situation. And how do you define 'really slow'? How long does it take DB2 to perform the same task? Some timing information would be very helpful here.

> the command I'm using is something like:
>
> impdp fx2/password_at_teng REMAP_TABLESPACE='FXTS':'FX2TS' directory=dump
> PARALLEL=2 dumpfile=fx_dump.dmp REMAP_SCHEMA=fx:fx2 NOLOGFILE=Y
> TABLE_EXISTS_ACTION=replace

That's not the command you're using? It's 'something like' that? How different is it? What information are we missing? What did you change that you failed to mention? We can't answer the question if we don't know the exact command you've entered.

> Regards,
>
> Marco Strullato

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Sep 18 2008 - 10:33:21 CDT

Original text of this message