Re: what is the fastest way to restore a db

From: Marco <marco.strullato_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 23:37:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, thanks for answers!

So, I'm tuning performances of web applications so I have to do very often database restore to back to the original state of applications after making it "smoking".
Before now I've ever used db2 as database and this is the first time I'm using oracle as database: I don't have much experience on oracle so please excuse me if I say something obvious.

The command I used to back up the original database is exactly this: expdp fx/password_at_teng schemas=fx directory=dump dumpfile=fx_dump.dmp logfile=fx_dump.log

and the command I'm using to restore the db is exactly impdp fx2/password_at_teng REMAP_TABLESPACE='FXTS':'FX2TS' directory=dump PARALLEL=2 dumpfile=fx_dump.dmp REMAP_SCHEMA=fx:fx2 NOLOGFILE=Y TABLE_EXISTS_ACTION=replace

I've never used rman to do backup/restore. Is it faster than expdp/ impdp?

In db2 the restore is about 2 or 3 minutes long. In oracle the restore is about 30 minutes long. I mean, the hardware is the same.

So, what should I do?

Regards

Marco Strullato Received on Fri Sep 19 2008 - 01:37:45 CDT

Original text of this message