Re: 10g with HACMP (no RAC)?

From: Uwe Weber <uwe.weber_at_teleos-web.de>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 13:17:03 +0200

Hi,

just a few tips.

Palooka wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are planning to implement Oracle 10.2.0.4 on AIX 5.3 with HACMP but
> without RAC. The HACMP configuration will be active/passive.
>
> The general idea is that the database will reside on shared EMC SAN, but
> the Oracle binaries will be installed separately on both nodes. If the
> instance on one node fails, the instance on the other node will mount,
> recover and open the database.

Make sure that the database VGs are 'enhanced concurrent' or failovers will be painfully slow. If you want to have fast failovers, set MTTR accordingly, so that the database will not have to apply huge amounts of data from the redo logs. Put all the configuration files in your ORA_BASE/admin into HACMP file collections to keep them in sync on al HACMP nodes. Sync and verify the cluster after Test FAILOVER and RG move after every change to the HACMP configuration or software. This means planned downtime for your Oracle instance for every test :->.