Re: flash_recovery_area size reporting

From: Cristian Cudizio <cristian.cudizio_at_yahoo.it>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 03:49:43 -0700 (PDT)

On 28 Ago, 11:43, pellicleund..._at_hotmail.com (obakesan) wrote:
> Hi
>
> I had a little whoopsie yesterday on my test database (10.2.0.1.0) with the
> db_recovery_file_dest becomming full and me getting the following message in
> my alert log:
>
> ORA-19815: WARNING: db_recovery_file_dest_size of 2147483648 bytes is 100.00%
> used, and has 0 remaining bytes available.
>
> well, I recovered from this but thought it might make a good exersize to
> explore. This leads me to a question about how it knows how much is in there.
> Because my first attempt to "fill the area" used a simple ploy to increase the
> amount held in  $ORACLE_HOME/flash_recovery_area/$SID by just poking
> some file in there with
> dd if=/dev/zero of=$ORACLE_HOME/flash_recovery_area/$SID
>
> this failed to have any impact on the system operation. So clearly the system
> is not looking at the OS but only its own repository / catalog.
>
> I would like to understand this more, for example to know which views I may be
> able to query or how to best explore the system to understand this (as EM is
> not the easiest tool to work with for this issue)
>
> thanks :-)
>
> See Ya
> (when bandwidth gets better ;-)
>
> Chris Eastwood
> Photographer, Programmer Motorcyclist and dingbat
> blog:http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/
>
> please remove undies for reply

The content of FRA is managed by oracle and it is supposed you don't write
manually anything into. V$FLASH_RECOVERY_AREA_USAGE shows you contents occupation by type
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/dynviews_1110.htm#I1030377

Regards,
 Cristian Cudizio

http://cristiancudizio.wordpress.com Received on Thu Aug 28 2008 - 05:49:43 CDT