Re: Licensing rules for Data Guard

From: Neil Truby <neil.truby_at_ardenta.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 23:01:17 +0100

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1219005304.381896_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com...

> Keep in mind the difference in price between SE and EE is entirely
> dependent upon your ability to negotiate with your Oracle sales rep.
> Oracle has list prices (http://store.oracle.com) but those are merely
> the beginning point for negotiations.

Thanks. The differential in price was about £150k. The lady from Oracle was interested in some incentive for going Enterprise, but nothing like that much. You get hit with a double whammy anyway: Enterprise is more expensive than Standard, but you also have to licence per core rather than socket. It could be a triple whammy, as no-one I spoke to seemed very sure if you have to licence the replicate or not.

We were able to set up SAN replication to do the job for about £30k for the software. It's not quite as elegant or instant as I imagine Data Guard would be, which is why I was interested in trying it for comparison.

As you know, Daniel, I come from an IBM database background: it seems like IBM might (amazingly!) have a more enlightened view to Feature pricing than Oracle, in this respect at least!

rgds
N Received on Sun Aug 17 2008 - 17:01:17 CDT

Original text of this message