Re: Is this a CAREER-ENDING mistake ? Accidently ran catalog.sql

From: Palooka <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 02:33:17 +0100

Richard wrote:
> Platform 9i on solaris.
>
> EXP(ort) was not functioning correctly so I ran catexp.sql as sys.
> Still had some minor problem, at this point I ran CATALOG.sql because
> some notes seem to suggest CATALOG.sql calls catexp.sql so why not run
> the whole thing. Only to find it is a NO-NO against an existing db.
> When I ran it it errors out with tons of display so I ctrl-C out of it
> and check what catalog.sql does and got the shattering news that it
> rebuilds the data dictionary, ok if you are building new db not
> existing one.
>
> I can still connect to the db but can't do much else. Says invalid pl/
> sql packages when doing simple select * from dba_users, I was afraid
> to even look at the output. Please help !
Interesting.
Some utility doesn't work as expected, so you run scripts at random? Is this a production database?

Palooka

P.S. Catalog is going to invalidate most of your packages. That's why catproc is usually run soon after. The exact sequence depends on a few things though, so it would probably be a good plan to get a competent dba in at this point. Received on Wed Aug 06 2008 - 20:33:17 CDT

Original text of this message