Re: Changing DBID

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:45:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 16, 11:16 am, Chuck <chuckh1958_nos..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> DANY wrote:
>
> > I'm not an expert but I think that isn't possible to specify a new
> > dbid.
> > I don't read all the posts but if you want to remain with the same
> > dbid, you can manually clone the database, instead of using rman
> > duplicate command.
> > Metalink notes :
> > Note:360962.1 - Manual Completion of a Failed RMAN Duplicate
> > Note:562556.1 - How to Manually Clone a Database to Another Node
>
> > Dany
>
> That would clone the production DB's dbid. I want to reuse the test db's
> original dbid.
>
> The only other thing that might work would be to use transportable
> tablespaces but that requires then to be placed into read-only mode for
> a while on production and I cant do that.

Clone DB and use the transportables from that? Sounds weird at first, but if you are fighting too hard against RMAN, it might make sense to have another db temporarily. Depending on your space and other things like that too, of course. Apologies if I've once again lost track of what you are doing, but it seems you might need to have different backup/restore requirements for the data and the work, and the usual case includes modifying data definitions for the new work.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://online.barrons.com/article/SB121097976028700003.html?page=sp