Re: Migrating an Application from SQL Server 2000 to Oracle 10g

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:10:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 16, 4:17 am, gazzag <gar..._at_jamms.org> wrote:
> On 15 Jul, 23:38, tcole6 <tco..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > We have an application that was written using SQL Server 2000 as the
> > RDBMS. We now have a need to convert this to Oracle. We know that we
> > obviously need to hire an Oracle DBA, but we don't have one at this
> > time...
>
> > Our application uses queries with joins across databases. In SQL
> > Server this is acheived like so:
>
> > SELECT a.a, a.b, b.a, b.b from Database1.dbo.Table1 a LEFT JOIN
> > Database2.dbo.Table1 b WHERE a.c = '123'
>
> > We absolutely do not understand the how Oracle uses Schemas, but we
> > are hoping to be able to create a structure where the above select
> > statement would still function. In other words we need to create these
> > databases with tables under the schema dbo. Otherwise we would need to
> > rewrite lots of code.
>
> > Are schemas tied to user accounts? Can anyone help me understand this,
> > or is this information just too vague?
>
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> In addition to everything Joel Garry said, this may be of some use
> too:http://www.psoug.org/reference/sqlserver.html
>
> HTH
>
> -g

Apologies to Daniel, I didn't happen to think of it. It reminds me of so much I don't know yet... Dan, I didn't notice autonomous transactions, I thought that might be relevant to the last line regarding triggers. Unless autonomous transactions have become too much of an embarassment :-)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Once again, arbitrary change of some fixed location id makes me need