Re: create database fatal error

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 13:46:28 +0200

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 08:34:30 +0100, Tommy Halsbrekk <tommy_at_dummy.no> wrote:

>The script is my template script, not "some template". Its the command I
>issue to do the job, after a perlsscript has modified some variables in
>CAPITAL LETTERS. So if you compared the script I posted in the original
>post and in the later post you would see I have incrteased the size
>parameter, which I thought was the solution to the SYSTEM space problem.

Obviously I did compare the two scripts and found out the second one was not going to work ever.(The first script would have worked if only the SYSTEM tablespace would have been correctly sized) The second script contains environment variables missing the initial dollar sign. So it could have been
$ORACLE_BASE/.../$ORACLE_SID etc.
This would only have worked if you would have called the script in the shell like
sqlplus system/change_on_install <<EOD
create database ...
exit
EOD But no sign of that.
In sqlplus the @ sign is used a shortcut for $ORACLE_SID (except for the database name), so the script is a piece of junk, 'written' by someone who thinks he knows everything better.

>Please check all posting I have made about the matter before you ask
>questions that are already answered (That is a general tip to anyone who
>uses usenet, there are far too many people who cant be bothered to read
>all posts, and get a complete picture of the discussion, before they reply)
This is very very funny. Look who's saying this! Someone from Norway who can't be bothered to read documentation, who can't be bothered to use the right tools for the right jobs, and who posts two completely different scripts, and accuses someone of not reading his posts. People are trying to help you out voluntarily. If you would like to receive any help in the future, apologies would be in order.

But probably there is another general tip to anyone responding: Too many people asking for help, refuse to do anything to resolve their own problem: they just dump it, expecting someone else will do their work for free.