Re: Any Oracle 11g for Solaris x86?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:00:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 27, 2:22 am, AGT <usenetpersonger..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> Yes the 50,000,000 Elvis fans cant be wrong syndrome.
> I was in a conference call last year with a bunch of these retards.
> A most unpleasant experience.
> The new Sun stuff is Linux "certified" - go for it if thats your thing.
> Me - Im probably buying a T2 server soon for my lab. Wouldnt touch Penguin
> OS with 10 meter pole. Even though its Sun supported on the T2

I tried very hard working with Sun looking at their new extremely multi core sparc based designs. We brought them in benchmarked etc ( running solaris of course not linux ).

While they scale out well they are at best sluggish running things that depend on single threaded performance. Well guess what each dedicated server connection servicing either oltp or batch type workloads is eseentially single threaded. The performance implications ... sluggish response.

Now if you are replacing some old 450's or 3000's or that type of hardware ... sure the new ones look quite speedy in comparison but checking them out against fairly generic recent AMD or Intel hardware running 64 bit linux ... well ouch. Received on Fri Jun 27 2008 - 14:00:05 CDT

Original text of this message