Re: Attach & detach tablespace

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 11:42:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 27, 1:14 pm, sjosh..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello
>
> In SQLServer I detach from one server and then attach it to another
> server. Is something like this possible with Oracle ?
>
> thanks
> Sunit

Not really, but Oracle does provide transportable tablespaces, whereby you can, through exp/imp and ftp, take one or more tablespaces from one database to another. Of course it isn't the 'point and click' operation you're so used to with SQL Server but it IS possible to transport tablespaces between databases. This is precisely why the documentation, found at

http://tahiti.oracle.com

is so valuable and extensive. Start here:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/tspaces.htm#ADMIN01101

to get a good overview of transportable tablespaces.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Jun 27 2008 - 13:42:37 CDT

Original text of this message