Re: Identifying the MML used for a particular backup set

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 18:18:49 +0200

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:06:11 GMT, Chuck <chuckh1958_nospam_at_gmai..com> wrote:

>Is there any way to determine from the RMAN catalog what MML was used to
>create a backup set? We are in the process of switching from TDPO to Net
>Backup and have both sets of libraries installed. Some of my DBID's have
>changed over time due to RMAN duplications and this has caused some
>backup sets to be abandoned in the catalog. I'd like to come up with a
>way to correctly determine which libobk library I should be using to
>delete a particular backup set. TIA

First of all, you should always (I mean: ALWAYS) include a 4 digit version number, as Oracle happens to change with every release. If you post a question without version number, you either force someone to include answers for various versions, or you don't get accurate responses, or you get no response at all.

That said, as far as I know in 9i and 8i, Oracle only distinguishes between disk and sbt_tape. Whether that has changed in 10g and 11g I don't know, but I don't think it is very likely, as the very reason to do this using libobk is to make the process transparent.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA