Re: PGA size and server process

From: Woody Ling <woodyling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 20:10:35 -0700 (PDT)

On 6$B7n(B4$BF|(B, $B>e8a(B10$B;~(B08$BJ,(B, Woody Ling <woodyl..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am now using dedicated server connection and I set
> pga_aggregate_target=1G. I find that there are total 5 server
> processes running by "ps -ef | grep oracle$SID"
>
> Does it mean that each server process can consume up to 1G so that the
> total PGA size is 5G?
> or
> 1G PGA are shared by all server processes?
>
> If it is shared by all server processes, why does it call "dedicated"?
>
> How to check the current size of PGA?
>
> Thanks.
> Woody Ling
> Hong Kong

As I know that each server process has it's own PGA (shared or dedicated server). If there are 5 server processes, there will be 5 PGA.
Actually I think that pga_aggregate_target size is the total size of all PGA which can be allocated by one instance. If it is set to 1G, each PGA get 200M if their loading are similar. If there is only 1 server process, it's PGA can consume up to 1G memory.

Am I correct?
How to know the size of all existing PGA?

Thanks.
Woody Ling
Hong Kong Received on Tue Jun 03 2008 - 22:10:35 CDT

Original text of this message