Re: PGA size and server process

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 20:11:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 3, 9:08 pm, Woody Ling <woodyl..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am now using dedicated server connection and I set
> pga_aggregate_target=1G. I find that there are total 5 server
> processes running by "ps -ef | grep oracle$SID"
>
> Does it mean that each server process can consume up to 1G so that the
> total PGA size is 5G?
> or
> 1G PGA are shared by all server processes?
>
> If it is shared by all server processes, why does it call "dedicated"?
>
> How to check the current size of PGA?
>
> Thanks.
> Woody Ling
> Hong Kong

Woody,

I think you can do a little more reading to understand all these. Pga_aggregate_target is for all processes to use PGA. Generally each one can only use up to 5% of that (or a little more for parallel slaves). The usage of pga_aggregate_target does get more complicated when you consider dedicated vs shared server config and 9i vs 10g. See http://yong321.freeshell.org/oranotes/LargePoolMtsPga.txt for a short summary.

Yong Huang Received on Tue Jun 03 2008 - 22:11:25 CDT

Original text of this message