Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBAs

From: Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_torver.net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 09:09:25 +0100

> This webpage is near zero-value. An Oracle DBA doing this will be nearly
> clueless based on the very substantial amount of information that is
> either incorrect or missing.
>
> Among the obvious factual errors:
> "Because an extent is a contiguous allocation of blocks, large extents aid
> in better I/O rate while reading huge amounts of data."
>
> "Oracle tablespaces are at the instance level."

So I fully expect you as a professional will go and fix your comparison article:

http://www.psoug.org/reference/sqlserver.html

The SQL Server FILE GROUP maps to a Oracle TABLESPACE and not a Logical File Name as you state.

A Logical File Name in SQL Server is a component of a File Group and there can be many Logical File Names as you put it per File Group

--
Tony Rogerson, SQL Server MVP
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/tonyrogerson