Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBAs

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 12:24:57 -0700

Tony Rogerson wrote:
> This seems a good comparison from a migration from Oracle to SQL Server
> perspective which would be a good starting point...
> Solution Guide for Migrating Oracle on UNIX to SQL Server on Windows
> (Chapter 5 - Developing: Databases - Migrating the Database Architecture)

This webpage is near zero-value. An Oracle DBA doing this will be nearly clueless based on the very substantial amount of information that is either incorrect or missing.

Among the obvious factual errors:
"Because an extent is a contiguous allocation of blocks, large extents aid in better I/O rate while reading huge amounts of data."

"Oracle tablespaces are at the instance level."

Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group