Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBAs

From: Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_torver.net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 09:39:19 +0100

Whatever you do, don't try and apply Oracle theory and practices against a SQL Server install - the two products are very very different and have very different strategies for dealing with performance and scalability; take one - I believe in ORacle the recommend practice is to create one RAID 10 array and plonk the data on that; in SQL Server we don't do it that way - we put the logs on their own mirrored pair; we put the data on it's own RAID 10 array etc...

Tony.

--
Tony Rogerson, SQL Server MVP
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/tonyrogerson