Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBAs

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 06:26:15 -0700 (PDT)

On May 25, 4:39 am, "Tony Rogerson" <tonyroger..._at_torver.net> wrote:

First, could you please stop top posting?

> Whatever you do, don't try and apply Oracle theory and practices against a
> SQL Server install - the two products are very very different and have very
> different strategies for dealing with performance and scalability;

Bingo. Correct on this one.

> take
> one - I believe in ORacle the recommend practice is to create one RAID 10
> array and plonk the data on that; in SQL Server we don't do it that way - we
> put the logs on their own mirrored pair; we put the data on it's own RAID 10
> array etc...

Many people regardless of if their database is oracle or sql server or something else don't take the time to understand how many spindles they have, where they come from exactly, etc.

Way back when in oracle most of the dba's did understand to get different disks and isolate their online log IO patterns from the rest of the database. Go back to reading the concepts manual if you don't get this part. Received on Mon May 26 2008 - 08:26:15 CDT

Original text of this message