Re: Newbie question - Oracle Trace Results

From: mathewbutler <mathewbutler_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 00:55:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 9, 5:53 pm, tony_auds..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
> bdbafh,
>
> I would have expected to see the EXEC and FETCH lines as well. At the
> point the application reaches the abort stage, it has already
> processed a number of SQL statement successfully and also, if i move
> the SQL statements to be executed around in the application, it will
> run fine until it reaches a statement that is, by comparison, large.
>
> I am presuming that due to the lack of EXEC and or FETCH lines, that
> the SQL has not been executed on the server.
> If this is the case, is there anything that would cause this to
> happen?
>
> Unfortunately, the application we are running will not run with Oracle
> 9 client or above. Already been down that route!!
> Just for information, Oracle 8 client, Oracle 8.1.7.4 server, Windows
> 2000 SP4 and MDAC 2.7
>
> The application connects through a ODBC DSN, using the Microsoft ODBC
> driver (using the Oracle driver makes matters worse) and i've tried
> the Trace option in Windows DataSources, but this gives me even less
> information.
>
> Looking at the Oracle trace file, it is making me wonder whether there
> is something specific on the server that is causing the issue!!
>
> This is making my hair grey, and my Kids are already buying 'Just for
> Men' in bulk!!
>
> Regards

Appears that the long SQL causes a failure in the app after parse. To confirm this you could switch on debug in the application (if supported). Otherwise you may need to confirm the messages on the network. Investgate increasing the logging level of the listener and the same on the client side. Received on Thu Apr 10 2008 - 02:55:32 CDT

Original text of this message