Re: Oracle Patches

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 23:46:16 GMT

hpuxrac wrote:
> On Mar 16, 4:15 pm, m..._at_mtekusa.com wrote:
>
> snip
>

>> Yes, it seems that there are no patches for what OS/Oravle version we
>> have.  I'm sorry for making everyone look for us, but I wanted to be
>> 100% sure....

> Don't be sorry we were just a little confused about what you were
> asking about.
>
> Any sun machine that can run only sparc 32 bit not sparc 64 is ...
> well ... very old. You can spend not a lot to get a machine that will
> run 64 bit and be much faster plus run oracle versions that do have
> patchsets available.

There is something to be said for currency - as in staying current with Hardware/OS/<database>. Because what happens is the following:

  1. we won't ever need to upgrade.
  2. years go by
  3. We need to add this whiz-bang new feature to our system
  4. Let's upgrade the database to <something more current>
  5. To get to <something more current> we need to upgrade the OS
  6. WHAT? They stopped supporting this hardware how many yrs ago?
  7. WHAT?? we no longer have the source code?
  8. WHAT??? the old executables won't run on a new OS?
  9. WHAT???? the old db won't run on a new OS?
  10. Hope this system doesn't crash..
	<days/weeks later>
	11)  OH fizzlepats.. the system crashed production is halted.
	     11a) and we have the huge umpty-fratz contract to complete
	     11b) - WHAT?? No one remembers how to do this manually?
	12)  Diagnosis indicates it is a <some obscure piece of hrdwr>
	13)  Only part available is on eBay and bidding is up to $13K
		Because, you see, there were 10 other companies that did the same
thing and this is the only part left in the world and the seller is now planning his trip to Hawaii or some other tropical location.. because he upgraded his server and software years ago and being the pack-rat he is bought that old server from his employer and stored it just for such a day... Received on Sun Mar 16 2008 - 18:46:16 CDT

Original text of this message