Re: Oracle Text / Office 2007 question / 10gR2

From: news.verizon.net <kennedyii_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 23:46:52 GMT

"jeremy" <jeremy0505_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:MPG.22462e2e4b796a9998a4de_at_news.individual.net...
> In article <77932cc0-6940-4f1a-a217-67d4edd36483
> @e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, Niall Litchfield says...
>> Isn't that a likely side-effect where the vendor buys the text search
>> filters in and releases a product before the format in question
>> becomes current. Or to put it another way, I expect it will get fixed
>> in due course. Meanwhile I'm sure that you already have certain
>> requirements - for example language the CV is in, it not being in
>> wordstar and all the rest. Temporarily requiring office 07 users to
>> save in a compatible file format shouldn't be a great barrier to
>> anyone who wants to apply for a job.
>>

> In the "war for talent" which is very real in some sectors/geographies,
> there is a very strong business case for removing as many barriers as
> possible to make applying straightforward - the candidate should not
> have to jump through hoops.
>
> Right now the priority for us is devising a way in which we can continue
> to accept that format of document and find a way to extract the text.
>
> --
> jeremy

You might be able to convert those which are docx (damn mickeysoft, I've run into this also where somone sends me a docx or spreadsheet and I can't read it because I didn't buy the most recent version of ms office) to doc files. Then import the doc files. If you have one windows box with MS office that can read doc x then you could write a little program that would take the file and convert it. Then import that file. You could automate the process. (eg a program detects that a file is in the dir, it converts the file from docx to doc, imports it into the Oracle db and moves the file to a finished directory. Gets the next file etc.

I have done some vba programming and I am sure I could help out if need be. I can be contacted at jim dot scuba dot kennedy at gmail dot com. Jim Received on Sat Mar 15 2008 - 18:46:52 CDT

Original text of this message