Re: Oracle Text / Office 2007 question / 10gR2

From: BicycleRepairman <>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:23:59 -0700 (PDT)

Ouch! You're right there, being skewered on the horns of a dilemma. Oracle licenses the filters: in 10g and previous using Stellent (INSO), and using Autonomy (Verity) in 11g. Of course, during the switch to (Verity which was purchased by Autonomy), Oracle bought Stellent, so a switch back would not be a surprise.
Even more clearly, a switch back to Stellent filters will precipitate Oracle buying Autonomy.
Anyway, if they fix it for 11g, backporting to 10gR2 will obviously be very difficult... stretching the concept of backporting far beyond its intended meaning.

So, if I was in your shoes, I'd either use automation to convert the .docx to PDF, then insert the PDF, or use automation to crack open the .docx file (actually, a zipped set of XML files) and insert/index the document.xml file. The first path is easy and not complicated, but you'll need Word 2007 to perform its magic. The second path is a lot more risky, but it would be interesting to see how difficult it is to handle. In terms of being able to index/search for keywords, it might not be that bad at all. Received on Sat Mar 15 2008 - 21:23:59 CDT

Original text of this message