Re: Oracle Text / Office 2007 question / 10gR2

From: BicycleRepairman <engel.kevin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:23:59 -0700 (PDT)

Ouch! You're right there, being skewered on the horns of a dilemma. Oracle licenses the filters: in 10g and previous using Stellent (INSO), and using Autonomy (Verity) in 11g. Of course, during the switch to (Verity which was purchased by Autonomy), Oracle bought Stellent, so a switch back would not be a surprise.
Even more clearly, a switch back to Stellent filters will precipitate Oracle buying Autonomy.
[ahem]
Anyway, if they fix it for 11g, backporting to 10gR2 will obviously be very difficult... stretching the concept of backporting far beyond its intended meaning.

So, if I was in your shoes, I'd either use automation to convert the .docx to PDF, then insert the PDF, or use automation to crack open the .docx file (actually, a zipped set of XML files) and insert/index the document.xml file. The first path is easy and not complicated, but you'll need Word 2007 to perform its magic. The second path is a lot more risky, but it would be interesting to see how difficult it is to handle. In terms of being able to index/search for keywords, it might not be that bad at all. Received on Sat Mar 15 2008 - 21:23:59 CDT

Original text of this message