Re: consolidation of multiple rows

From: Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:14:56 -0500

joel garry wrote:
> On Mar 12, 11:06 am, gazzag <gar..._at_jamms.org> wrote:
>> On 12 Mar, 18:53, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck..._at_attglobal.net> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Oh, so now you're teaching them non-DBA functions also? Configuring the
>>> OS is not a DBA's job.
>> [snip]
>>> ==================
>>> Remove the "x" from my email address
>>> Jerry Stuckle
>>> JDS Computer Training Corp.
>>> jstuck..._at_attglobal.net
>> In my experience this is not true: a good SA and a good DBA will
>> appreciate that there's a degree of crossover in their skillset in
>> correctly configuring a database server and will cooperate
>> accordingly. How much real-world experience do you have? Next ->
>> Next -> Next -> Finish? You can have any database flavouir you like
>> as long as it's vanilla, presumably.
>>

> And I've certainly seen "it's not my job" be the mark of a loser. In
> larger sites, I've seen SA's make very bad assumptions, if they aren't
> communicating with the DBA's properly there's going to be a LOT of
> problems. With that sort of communication necessary, they need to be
> able to speak and understand each others' language. Pesonally, I've
> found that having been both and at times wearing both hats has enabled
> me to easily solve problems that mystify a job-partitioned group of
> people. Sometimes they proclaim me some kinda genius, when it's
> really just knowing the basics of both plus the app. These jobs are
> rarely positively recognized, so I'm not going to stop them. Then
> again, I've seen people who've been both and get neither. For some
> reason, they inevitably seem to come from the Windows world. Perhaps
> making it too simple masks incompetance.

And I've seen the results of someone sticking their fingers in where they don't belong. How much more often do you think that happens?

I agree that DBA's and SysAdmins need to talk. But in a big shop, they are two different groups of people.

> I've had a number of experiences where I've had to show things to SA's
> and skeptical DBA's. A goodly amount of diplomacy is necessary when
> you are stuck telling people how to do their jobs. But I guess it
> isn't Jerry's job to teach them about the real world. Glad I'm not an
> instructor.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> Thank you, Sheriff Whipple.

My job is to teach them the technical aspects of whatever it is - languages, databases, whatever. I don't teach them how to do their job.

And being an instructor is actually quite a bit of fun. Wish I could do more of it, but I just don't have the time to do much teaching and run a business. So I have others doing most of the teaching nowadays.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.