Re: consolidation of multiple rows

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:37:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 12, 11:06 am, gazzag <gar..._at_jamms.org> wrote:
> On 12 Mar, 18:53, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck..._at_attglobal.net> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > Oh, so now you're teaching them non-DBA functions also?  Configuring the
> > OS is not a DBA's job.
> [snip]
> > ==================
> > Remove the "x" from my email address
> > Jerry Stuckle
> > JDS Computer Training Corp.
> > jstuck..._at_attglobal.net
>
> In my experience this is not true: a good SA and a good DBA will
> appreciate that there's a degree of crossover in their skillset in
> correctly configuring a database server and will cooperate
> accordingly.  How much real-world experience do you have?  Next ->
> Next -> Next -> Finish?  You can have any database flavouir you like
> as long as it's vanilla, presumably.

And I've certainly seen "it's not my job" be the mark of a loser. In larger sites, I've seen SA's make very bad assumptions, if they aren't communicating with the DBA's properly there's going to be a LOT of problems. With that sort of communication necessary, they need to be able to speak and understand each others' language. Pesonally, I've found that having been both and at times wearing both hats has enabled me to easily solve problems that mystify a job-partitioned group of people. Sometimes they proclaim me some kinda genius, when it's really just knowing the basics of both plus the app. These jobs are rarely positively recognized, so I'm not going to stop them. Then again, I've seen people who've been both and get neither. For some reason, they inevitably seem to come from the Windows world. Perhaps making it too simple masks incompetance.

I've had a number of experiences where I've had to show things to SA's and skeptical DBA's. A goodly amount of diplomacy is necessary when you are stuck telling people how to do their jobs. But I guess it isn't Jerry's job to teach them about the real world. Glad I'm not an instructor.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Thank you, Sheriff Whipple.