Re: Client sqlplus SELECT + SPOOL knocks down server network

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:51:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 11, 4:14 pm, hpuxrac <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> We are just starting to take a look at linux.
>
> Modprobed the driver ... what does that mean?

http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl8_modprob.htm

One thing you have to realize about linux is that it grew organically in its early evolution - people would volunteer their efforts to create the OS. So even now that it has gone mainstream and has to have a rigid configuration to run Oracle, there are still things that reflect the manly DIY mindset of building an OS, endlessly recompiling the kernel with different modules and tacking on mysteriously updated drivers that you supposedly should be able to read and understand the C source to. And then use the typical linux tools to figure out what went wrong and fix it yourself.

After all, you wouldn't want a Windows style "update the drivers" symptom fighting and myths, right?

But then again, Oracle can't figure out hp-ux patch supercession either, so one could argue it's just a matter of getting used to the milleu.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
That darn do-no-evil routine!  http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001072.html