Re: consolidation of multiple rows

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:58:24 GMT

--CELKO-- wrote:

>>> In the time his students take to install Oracle, our DB2 Admin students have learned about the tuning parameters, explained SQL statements to determine why things run slowly and tuned the system for better performance. <<

> I like DB2 better than Oracle myself, but a lot of that kind of thing
> is done with the initial installation and configuration in Oracle. It
> is not easy and you really need to learn to do an install.

I like DEC Rdb (now Oracle Rdb) -- I have shutdown, backed up, installed a new version - converted the 45-50 databases and had them back into production on the 6-node VMS cluster (A real cluster - not those toys that are around today) in < 3.5 hrs. - and the backups took a little more than 3hrs using 16 tape drives. We spooled the biggest database to 4 tape drives in parallel and split the others similarly...

With Rdb - from time of starting the install to having a database up and running < 30 minutes. If you had the database create script it was even faster. I created one that was >2Tb in this manner. (no data - but was able to kick off an ETL process that would push 300M records < 2.5 hrs.

Rdb is also where Oracle ripped out the optimizer, partitioning, ideas for RMAN ( IMO a kludge from RMU (Rdb Monitor Utility) and access to some of the best Relational developers in the business. Received on Tue Mar 11 2008 - 18:58:24 CDT

Original text of this message